My Virtual Sanity

Have you ever felt the need to share your thoughts with virtual strangers just so you can pretend that you have adult conversations during the day? Well, that's what I'm about to do. Be prepaired for my life as a stay at home, obsessive knitter, and my attempts to stay connected with the rest of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Birth of a Rogue Inspired hat

Here is my Newest FO, the Rogue inspired roll brim hat.

Pattern: Self created using the sleeve cable pattern from the Rogue sweater.
Yarn: Lion brand Woolese Chunky
Needles: Size 8 Bamboo double pointed needles (yes! I did make the entire hat on double pointed needles, not on a circular).













Ok, so why did I make this hat on double pointed needles?
  1. I didn't have a size 8 circular needle short enough to make this project anything but a pain in the butt.
  2. I have a set of 5 bamboo double pointed needles that happen to be size 8. These are the only bamboo needles that I own, and I was excited to get to use them again.
  3. Hmmmm 4 panels, 4 needles (+1 to work the stitches) perfect!
  4. I didn't have to switch to double pointed needles at the top when I had so few stitches left.














Why the Roll brim hat? I am still not so patiently waiting for discountyarnsale.com to ship out the yarn that I bought to make my Rogue sweater. I am so itchy to make this sweater that I decided to practice the cable pattern. When I realized how really easy it is, no matter how complicated it looked (I have VERY limited cable experience) I figured it was just a waste to just practice. I should make something with it. What would be good in woolese? It is really to scratchy for a scarf, which was my first idea, so I decided to try to recreate the hat also made by the Rogue designer. I completed the brim last, because I really wasn't sure what I wanted. I usually make watch caps with a thick rib band. I thought that might hide, or detract from the beautiful cables on this hat, so I added a simple roll brim after completing the rest of the hat.

I'm really quite fond of this hat, and I think I'll keep it for me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Spike said...

Love the hat Dawn. What a creative idea!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Keko said...

I like the hat too. That's really neat. Can you do it in mostly black with a couple od dark blue threads? That'd be cool...

8:00 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Lol Calamar, I can make it in any yarn. You find the yarn, and I'll make you 1 ;)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Keko said...

You shouldn't call it a Rogue hat though, that's somewhat misleading. Or maybe not. If you made it in black I could see a theif in the night wearing something like that. Not in baby blue though...

9:31 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Lol, Calamar I called it "Rogue hat" because the sweater pattern that I used to make the cables is called "Rogue"

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home