My Virtual Sanity

Have you ever felt the need to share your thoughts with virtual strangers just so you can pretend that you have adult conversations during the day? Well, that's what I'm about to do. Be prepaired for my life as a stay at home, obsessive knitter, and my attempts to stay connected with the rest of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

oh, the things I'll do....

Oh the things I'll do to avoid frogging my work.

I am working on the sleeves for Rogue and making them silmultaniously on a circular needle. I did this so that they would be exactly the same, and that if I end up with more strange striping, it would stripe the same on both sleeves. I'm using both ends of a single center pull ball. I worked about 10 rows of twisted hem facing stitch, did a turning round, then proceeded onward and upward. The cable patterns required quite a bit of concentration, and at different points I found myself dropping down a few stitches in order to fix a minor mistake. When I had about 10 rows of cable pattern done, I turned my hem to the inside and knit it together with my current stitches in pattern to affix the hem. I don't know if this is what I was supposed to do, but it keeps me from having to sew it up later. After working all day, I had both sleeves up to the end of the cable pattern. Yea! That's 54 rows since I did my turning row. At this point the pattern gives me a stitch count. 63 stitches. Ok, I as I am working the 54th row I count my stitches. First sleeve has 62 stitches. Not bad! The second sleeve has 55... 55?! Did I miscount? Did I mean 65?! I count again about 4 times. It still comes out at 55. This is a 7 stitch difference, and obviously means that I forgot to do some increases on this sleeve that I did on the other one. A few stitches I could fudge, but 7?! This is about an inch and a half of fabric.

*SIGH* I put the darn thing down in disgust last night and went to bed. I'm so emotional at this point in my pregnancy that 7 stitches almost makes me cry. I write a quick whiney note to my knittingparent's group in the hopes of some good advice, and go to bed. This morning, someone suggested that I have my husband try them on and see if there is that much of a noticeable difference. So, rather than just rip it all out, I put both sleeves on waste yarn, lightly seemed them up and had DH try them on. He noticed...

He knows that I don't want to rip it out, but he very hesitantly said that he would really like them to be the same. *Sigh* I guess I'm ripping it out. At least it's only 1 sleeve. The problem is now, how far do I rip it back? I looked back through my work and can't really find any one place where I made a mistake. "hmm, I might have missed an increase here.. 6 more to find" Do I rip it back to where I joined the hem? That puts me in the middle of a cable row, and as I rip apart cables they have a tendancy to untwist and it's a major headache to put them back where they should be. Do I rip back to where I did my turning round? That would work, except now I have all those loops from where I removed my provisional cast on. Well, that's only 10 more rows. All the way back to the beginning I go. At least I know it will be correct from the beginning. So, I went from 2 matching sleeves, to this:
*SIGH*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home